The DAAD awards funding to Sub-Saharan African students for full-time Master or PhD degrees in their home country or in another Sub-Saharan African country as part of its In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme. The programme promotes the mobility of researchers between Sub-Saharan African countries and capacity building at Sub-Saharan African universities.
Master and PhD scholarships in this programme are awarded for preselected degree programmes in development-related and SDG-oriented fields at preselected Sub-Saharan African institutions. Scholarships are awarded to Sub-Saharan African students for study and research in their home country (In-Country) or in another Sub-Saharan African country (In-Region).
For an overview of the degree programmes and calls for application in the programme, check out the DAAD’s Scholarship Database:
DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship holders are eligible for exciting funding opportunities in addition to the scholarship they have received for their full-time Master or PhD degree in Sub-Saharan Africa:
- Scholarship holders are eligible to apply for a short-term research visit to Germany
- Scholarship holders are eligible to apply for one of six interdisciplinary summer schools offered in Germany during their funding period:
- Heidelberg University – Enhancing Academic Qualifications in Teaching and Research in Public Health
- HAW Hamburg – Education And Research oriented Training in Health Sciences
- TH Cologne – Data to Decision: Assessment of the Water-Energy-Food (WEF) Nexus
- University of Frankfurt – Environmental and Remote Sensing Data Analysis via Geospatial Technologies in Research and Teaching
- ABI Freiburg – Contested Governance
- University of Leipzig – Project Development for Knowledge Transfer
South African citizens who would like to do their Master or PhD in South Africa can apply for the DAAD-NRF In-Country Scholarship.