Master and PhD scholarships in this programme are awarded for preselected degree programmes in development-related and SDG-oriented fields at preselected Sub-Saharan African institutions. Scholarships are awarded to Sub-Saharan African students for study and research in their home country (In-Country) or in another Sub-Saharan African country (In-Region).
For an overview of the degree programmes and calls for application in the programme, check out the DAAD’s Scholarship Database:
DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship holders are eligible for exciting funding opportunities in addition to the scholarship they have received for their full-time Master or PhD degree in Sub-Saharan Africa:
- Scholarship holders are eligible to apply for a short-term research visit to Germany
- Scholarship holders are eligible to apply for one of five interdisciplinary summer schools offered in Germany during their funding period:
- University of Frankfurt – Environmental and Remote Sensing Data Analysis via Geospatial Technologies in Research and Teaching (27th August – 18th September 2023)
- Hamburg University of Applied Sciences (HAW Hamburg) – Education and Research orientated Training in Health Sciences (1st August – 31st August 2023 )
- Heidelberg University – Enhancing Academic Qualifications in Teaching and Research in Global Health (8th August – 31st August 2023)
- University of Applied Sciences Cologne (TH Köln) – Climate Change Adaptation: Risk Assessment and Design of Interventions (CC-Adapt) (12th August – 3rd September 2023)
- University of Leipzig – Innovators, Doers and Entrepreneurs [at] summer school (IDEAS) (3rd – 24th September; Virtual Conference: 26th – 30th June, 24th – 28th July, 18th – 20th October 2023)
South African citizens who would like to do their Master or PhD in South Africa can apply for the DAAD-NRF In-Country Scholarship.