The DAAD awards funding to Sub-Saharan African students for full-time Master or PhD degrees in their home country or in another Sub-Saharan African country as part of its In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme. The Programme promotes the mobility of researchers between Sub-Saharan African countries and capacity building at Sub-Saharan African universities.
Calls out now for Southern Africa!
Calls for In-Country/In-Region Scholarships in Southern Africa are out now under the link below! Universities in Southern Africa have set their own deadlines and must send their short lists of potential candidates to the DAAD until 8 June 2020.
Many scholarships in this programme are awarded for degree programme at preselected Sub-Saharan African countries in preselected fields of study. Scholarships on offer, calls for application and application deadlines can be viewed in the DAAD Scholarship Database:
DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship holders are eligible for exciting funding opportunities in addition to the scholarship they have received for their full-time Master or PhD degree in Sub-Saharan Africa:
- Scholarship holders are eligible to apply for a short-term research visit to Germany
- Scholarship holders are eligible to apply for one of six interdisciplinary summer schools offered in Germany during their funding period:
- Heidelberg University – Enhancing Academic Qualifications in Teaching and Research in Public Health
- HAW Hamburg – Education And Research oriented Training in Health Sciences
- TH Cologne – Data to Decision: Assessment of the Water-Energy-Food (WEF) Nexus
- University of Frankfurt – Environmental and Remote Sensing Data Analysis via Geospatial Technologies in Research and Teaching
- ABI Freiburg – Contested Governance
- University of Leipzig – Project Development for Knowledge Transfer
South African citizens who would like to do their Master or PhD in South Africa can apply for the DAAD-NRF In-Country Scholarship.
PDFs available for download with information for current In-Country/In-Region Scholarship holders in light of the global Corona Virus pandemic
There is information for scholarship holders currently at their host institution in Sub-Saharan Africa, information for scholarships holders who are currently in Germany on a short-term research visit, and information for scholarships who have been approved and are planning to do research in Germany later this year. Please do read the documents carefully, should it apply to you.