The DAAD awards funding to Sub-Saharan African students for full-time Master or PhD degrees in their home country or in another Sub-Saharan African country as part of its In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme. The programme promotes the mobility of researchers between Sub-Saharan African countries and capacity building at Sub-Saharan African universities.
Master and PhD scholarships in this programme are awarded for preselected degree programmes in development-related and SDG-oriented fields at preselected Sub-Saharan African institutions. Scholarships are awarded to Sub-Saharan African students for study and research in their home country (In-Country) or in another Sub-Saharan African country (In-Region).
For an overview of the degree programmes and calls for application in the programme, check out the DAAD’s Scholarship Database:
DAAD In-Country/In-Region Scholarship holders are eligible for exciting funding opportunities in addition to the scholarship they have received for their full-time Master or PhD degree in Sub-Saharan Africa:
- Scholarship holders are eligible to apply for a short-term research visit to Germany
- Scholarship holders are eligible to apply for one of five interdisciplinary summer schools offered in Germany during their funding period:
- University of Frankfurt – Environmental and Remote Sensing Data Analysis via Geospatial Technologies in Research and Teaching (29th August – 7th October 2022)
- Hamburg University of Applied Sciences (HAW Hamburg) – Education and Research orientated Training in Health Sciences (1st August – 23rd September 2022 – part-time)
- Heidelberg University – Enhancing Academic Qualifications in Teaching and Research in Global Health (15.07.-14.09.2022 – part time)
- University of Applied Sciences Cologne (TH Köln) – Climate Change Adaptation: Risk Assessment and Design of Interventions (CC-Adapt) (15th August – 15th September 2022)
- University of Leipzig – Innovators, Doers and Entrepreneurs [at] summer school (IDEAS) (Part 1: 27th – 1st July 2022; Part 2: 25th – 29th July 2022; Part 3: 17th – 28th October 2022; Virtual Conference: 9th – 11th November 2022)
South African citizens who would like to do their Master or PhD in South Africa can apply for the DAAD-NRF In-Country Scholarship.
DAAD Southern Africa - become a host institution!
The DAAD In-Country/In-Region Programme in Developing Countries is accepting applications from Institutions in southern Africa to join the programme as a host institution.
What is the Programme About?
The In-Country/In-Region scholarship programme aims at fostering strong, internationally oriented higher education systems in Sub Saharan-Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable development. To this end, scholarships are granted for development-related Master or doctoral studies for individuals who plan to pursue a career in teaching and/or research at a higher education institution in Sub Saharan-Africa. Scholarships are awarded only for selected (post)graduate programmes at host institutions that are affiliated with the programme.
What kind of Programmes are selected?
- Programs that have an excellent academic quality
- have a strong linkage to national/regional development plans
- have a strong linkage to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG)
- have good application and graduation rates
- have an accreditation (preferably on program level)
- have graduated at least the first student intake successfully
- have a good supervision ratio (especially for PhD students)
- have a convincing composition of academic staff
- have a convincing support and marketing concept – especially for
regional students and underprivileged groups.
- have experience with international or regional collaborations
What are the benefits?
Scholarship holders: individual scholarship payments, summer schools and research stays in Germany, and skill trainings.
Host institutions: payment of the scholarship holders’ tuition fees, seminars for coordinators (on marketing or monitoring), online-course for PhD supervisors, networking events etc.
Deadline for Institution Applications 1 June 2022!
Info Session 4 may 2022! Register here: In-Country/In-Region Instutions Info Session
Information for current host institutions
If you have general questions about the procedure of the In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme, please refer to the “Affiliate Agreement” sent to you or contact your DAAD contact person.