Museums are part of societies; they bear witness to relationships between societies, countries and continents. As living institutions, they have a responsibility to learn from their history and actively shape change for individuals, locally and globally.
By bringing together 50 African and European Fellows, over 100 lecturers, speakers and mentors from African and European arts, cultures and sciences, the MuseumsLab 2023 aims to change not only museums but also foster societal change by addressing urgent issues such as social justice and climate change.
TheMuseumsLab 2023 is a programme developed to support professional exchanges between curators, researchers, and executives working in museums, galleries and heritage sites across African and European countries. The programme aims at enabling them to share knowledge, skills and best practice and support their individual professional development.
What the MuseumsLab offers:
- African and European leading-edge, multidisciplinary thinking and experimental practice in museum and heritage studies,
- Innovative formats of learning and practical skills
- Residencies at renowned African and European institutions
- Theoretical and practical seminars at renowned museums in Berlin and Addis Ababa
- Networking opportunities amongst Fellows and with international experts, who are linked to museums on the African continent and in Europe by their lives, research, or work
- A joint certificate, issued by the German Federal Foreign Office, the DAAD, Museum of Museum für Naturkunde Berlin,
Hochschule für Technik und Wirtschaft Berlin, Addis Ababa University, The Advisors, and the host institution.
- Cost coverage* for the onsite phases in Berlin, the residency at an African or European host institution, and the onsite phase in Addis Ababa according to DAAD regulations.
- Experience of at least 2 years in the museum, heritage, or art sector
- Professional qualification (HEI degree in a museum, heritage, art or related field)
- Language skills: Adequate language proficiency in English (written and spoken) is essential in order to participate
actively in the programme.
Application Deadline: 7 November 2023!
Find out more about this programme and how to apply here: TheMuseumsLab2023
For further questions, please contact:
Anja Meerschiff | Khansaa Al-Radhi