Food Quality and Safety (M.Sc.)
Your master’s degree for a better world! Be a part of our international master’s programme at the Faculty of Life Sciences: Food, Nutrition and Health and apply now!
The food industry is a highly complex environment. Besides the overwhelming variety of ingredients they contain, our food products are produced, traded, and processed globally. Quality assurance and quality enhancement must come to terms with this complexity, as must the legal framework, and new technical innovations.
The master’s programme addresses some of the greatest challenges of the 21st century: the sustainable production and distribution of healthy food of the highest possible quality, feeding a steadily growing world population, and optimizing existing supply chains while developing new ones. Complex problems require interdisciplinary solutions. This is where the scientific, legal, and economic skills, you will acquire, will come to the fore.
- Language of instruction: English
- Duration: 2 years of full-time study
- No tuition fees
- Academic requirements: Bachelor degree in Biology or Biochemistry, or a comparable degree in the field of Life Sciences, and a language certificate ENGLISH level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). A language certificate GERMAN level A1 (CEFR) can be obtained during the first year of studies.
- Application: online via the application portal CAMPUSonline. Applicants from outside the EU who have obtained their degree abroad have to upload the application documents also via uni-assist and undergo a fee-based special procedure.
Why come to us?
- Internationality: The University of Bayreuth has long-standing partnerships with international universities and offers 13,500 students from all over the world the ideal place to launch their career. Our university hosts students, instructors and researchers from more than 100 different countries.
- Location: The study programme takes place at the Faculty of Life Sciences: Food, Nutrition and Health in Kulmbach (Bavaria). Our faculty will complement and strengthen the already existing food cluster at this location, consisting of recognized research institutes, leading authorities and companies.
- Vision: The faculty perspective is innovative in Germany, trying to find answers to global challenges in the field of life sciences through interdisciplinary teaching and research. Thus, the scientific analysis of the interrelationship between nutrition, movement and health is combined with relevant economic, legal, sociological and behavioural questions.
- 15 June 2023
For more information, see
Come to us and shape the future!