Together with the National Research Foundation (NRF) in South Africa, the DAAD awards funding for Master and PhD degrees at South African Universities to South Africans citizens or permanent South African residents as part of its In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme.
The NRF-DAAD In-Country Scholarship is jointly awarded by the DAAD and the NRF to full-time Master and PhD students in South Africa in all fields of study at any South African university. A South African citizenship or a permanent South African residency is a requirement for the scholarship. Applicants must be 32 years of age or younger in the year of application.
NRF-DAAD In-Country Scholarship holders are eligible for exciting funding and networking opportunities in addition to the scholarship they have received for their full-time Master or PhD degree in South Africa:
- Scholarship holders are eligible to apply for a short term research stay to Germany. More Information here: NRF-DAAD Short-term Stay Germany Leaflet
- Scholarship holders are eligible to apply for one of five interdisciplinary summer schools offered in Germany during their funding period:
- University of Frankfurt – Environmental and Remote Sensing Data Analysis via Geospatial Technologies in Research and Teaching (29th August – 7th October 2022)
- Hamburg University of Applied Sciences (HAW Hamburg) – Education and Research orientated Training in Health Sciences (1st August – 23rd September 2022 – part-time)
- Heidelberg University – Enhancing Academic Qualifications in Teaching and Research in Global Health (15.07.-14.09.2022 – part time)
- University of Applied Sciences Cologne (TH Köln) – Climate Change Adaptation: Risk Assessment and Design of Interventions (CC-Adapt) (15th August – 15th September 2022)
- University of Leipzig – Innovators, Doers and Entrepreneurs [at] summer school (IDEAS) (Part 1: 27th – 1st July 2022; Part 2: 25th – 29th July 2022; Part 3: 17th – 28th October 2022; Virtual Conference: 9th – 11th November 2022)
- The DAAD Information Centre Johannesburg invites 50 – 70 scholarship holders to take part in a networking conference in South Africa each year
The NRF-DAAD In-Country Scholarship is thus especially interesting to applicants who would like to gain research experience in South Africa and Germany.
Online Info-Session 16 May
Join the DAAD and the NRF for a joint Online Info-Session and find out about studying in South Africa with the NRF-DAAD In-Country Scholarship as well as further opportuntities available to scholarship holders.
Watch recorded info session here: NRF-DAAD In-Country Info Session
Applications are open until 8 July 2022!
Application Portal: NRF-DAAD Online Application Submission System
For technical support with your application please contact: email@example.com
The Department of Science and Innovation (DSI) and National Research Foundation (NRF) in partnership with the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) are pleased to announce the provisional awards for NRF-DAAD master’s and doctoral studies in 2022.
List of Successful Applicants for 2022: NRF-DAAD Masters and Doctoral Scholarships
Please read carefully through the conditions and process of acceptance and direct any questions to the NRF