Together with the National Research Foundation (NRF) in South Africa, the DAAD awards funding for Master and PhD degrees at South African Universities to South Africans citizens or permanent South African residents as part of its In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme.
The DAAD-NRF In-Country Scholarship is jointly awarded by the DAAD and the NRF to full-time Master and PhD students in South Africa in all fields of study at any South African university. A South African citizenship or a permanent South African residency is a requirement for the scholarship.
Call for applications is out now!
The call for applications appears on the website of the NRF each year and the application procedure is through the NRF. The NRF has written out the scholarship for 2021. More information can be found here:
Application deadline at the NRF: 14 August 2020
Universities set their own deadlines.
DAAD-NRF In-Country Scholarship holders are eligible for exciting funding and networking opportunities in addition to the scholarship they have received for their full-time Master or PhD degree in South Africa:
- Scholarship holders are eligible to apply for a short-term research visit to Germany
- Scholarship holders are eligible to apply for one of six interdisciplinary summer schools offered in Germany during their funding period:
- Heidelberg University – Enhancing Academic Qualifications in Teaching and Research in Public Health
- HAW Hamburg – Education And Research oriented Training in Health Sciences
- TH Cologne – Data to Decision: Assessment of the Water-Energy-Food (WEF) Nexus
- University of Frankfurt – Environmental and Remote Sensing Data Analysis via Geospatial Technologies in Research and Teaching
- ABI Freiburg – Contested Governance
- University of Leipzig – Project Development for Knowledge Transfer
- The DAAD Information Centre Johannesburg invites 50 - 70 scholarship holders to take part in a networking conference in South Africa each year
The DAAD-NRF In-Country Scholarship is thus especially interesting to applicants who would like to gain research experience in South Africa and Germany.