- Where is the DAAD Portal? Once you have chosen the relevant scholarship option and read through all the important information, go to ‘Application’. The DAAD Portal is at the bottom of the page.
- Where is the Online Application form? The application form is in the DAAD Portal.
Should you have any further issues accessing and navigating the DAAD Portal please contact the Portal Hotline for assistance;
email at email@example.com phone at +49 228 882-8888.
In general, the portal hotline can be reached on weekdays from 09:00 – 12:00 and 14:00 – 16:00 hrs (German Time).
SPACES II.1 – CaBuDe: Scholarships for Foreigners: Bi-nationally supervised doctorate in the home country (type B) - marine projects • DAAD
Sustainable research requires early support for young experts in research and education at universities and research institutes, including industry-related ones, in Germany and the participating African countries Angola, Botswana, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa and Zambia. Good networking, close coordination and long-term cooperation between the scientists of these nations are of equal importance.
The accompanying DAAD scholarship programme “Capacity Building/Development” (CaBuDe) aims at developing the required capacities. The program will enable scholarship holders from Southern Africa to research, to network and to be (further) educated in Germany, in order to become experts for the sustainable scientific-technical cooperation between their home countries and Germany. The same applies to the short-term research scholarship holders from Germany under this programme.
Who can apply?
doctoral candidates from Angola, Botswana, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa and Zambia who are doing research within one of the marine SPACES II research Projects: BANINO, CASISAC, TRACES & TRAFFIC under the overall theme of Earth System Management in the following specific fields:
- Environmental Sciences
- Coastal and Marine Research Sciences
What can be funded?
The doctoral project can only be conducted in strong cooperation with one of the relevant marine SPACES II research projects.
Duration of the funding
The duration of the grant is decided by the selection committee and depends on the project in question and the applicant’s work schedule.
The funding period must be finished in October 2023 at the latest. The individual application deadline stems from the planned duration of funding. The online application must have been submitted via the DAAD online portal at least 4 months before the desired starting date at the German host institution.
E.g.: Applications for a 6 months funding period can be submitted at any time until December 31, 2022. Applications for a 15 months funding period can be submitted at any time before March 31, 2022.
- Intensive optional 2-month German language course in Germany prior to the start of the research stay if needed (only for scholarships with a duration of more than 6 months)
- Monthly payments during the stay in Germany of 1,200 Euro
- Flat-rate travel allowance for outward and return journey
- Travel and accommodation expenses for supervising university teachers, according to the German Federal Travel Expenses Law (BRKG), for one trip of up to 10 days
- by the foreign university teacher to Germany to monitor progress
- by the German university teacher to the home university of the scholarship holder to take part in final examinations
- The nature of the trips should be specified in the work and time schedule submitted with the application.
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
Under certain circumstances, grant holders completing an uninterrupted stay of over 6 months in Germany may receive the following additional benefits:
- Monthly rent subsidy
- Monthly allowance for accompanying family members
- One-off research allowance
To enable grant holders to learn German in preparation for their stay in Germany, DAAD offers the following services:
- Payment of course fees for the online language course “Deutsch-Uni Online (DUO) (www.deutsch-uni.com) for 6 months after receipt of the Scholarship Award Letter
- Allowance for a self-chosen accompanying German language course during the grant period
- Reimbursement of the fees for the TestDaF test which is either taken in the home country after receipt of the Scholarship Award Letter or in Germany before the end of the grant period
The decisive selection criterion is the compatibility of the research proposal with the chosen marine SPACES II project. Other important selection criteria are the relevance and quality of the research proposal and the applicant´s academic achievements.