As part of the „In Country / In-Region Scholarship Progamme“, the DAAD offers scholarships for PhD studies The programme is funded by the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and aims at university staff in the first line, without neglecting the public sector demand of academically trained personnel.
Who can apply?
- have successfully completed generally a three-year university degree (Master candidates) or a two-year university degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (upper forth of class)
- clearly show motivation and strong commitment
- have thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- have completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
- must be nationals or permanent residents of a Sub-Saharan African country, excluding South Africa
- should generally be a) staff member of a public or private university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector
What can be funded?
The scholarships at UNISA are available in the following field:
Duration of the funding
- of the PhD programme is 3 years
- of the Master programme is 2 years