The DAAD In-Country/In-Region Programme in Developing Countries is accepting applications from Institutions in southern Africa to join the programme as a host institution.
What is the Programme About?
The In-Country/In-Region scholarship programme aims at fostering strong, internationally oriented higher education systems in Sub Saharan-Africa with the capacity to contribute to sustainable development. To this end, scholarships are granted for development-related Master or doctoral studies for individuals who plan to pursue a career in teaching and/or research at a higher education institution in Sub Saharan-Africa. Scholarships are awarded only for selected (post)graduate programmes at host institutions that are affiliated with the programme.
What kind of Programmes are selected?
- Programs that have an excellent academic quality
- have a strong linkage to national/regional development plans
- have a strong linkage to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG)
- have good application and graduation rates
- have an accreditation (preferably on program level)
- have graduated at least the first student intake successfully
- have a good supervision ratio (especially for PhD students)
- have a convincing composition of academic staff
- have a convincing support and marketing concept – especially for
regional students and underprivileged groups.
- have experience with international or regional collaborations
What are the benefits?
Scholarship holders: individual scholarship payments, summer schools and research stays in Germany, and skill trainings.
Host institutions: payment of the scholarship holders’ tuition fees, seminars for coordinators (on marketing or monitoring), online-course for PhD supervisors, networking events etc.
Deadline for Institution Applications 1 June 2022!
Info Session for Interested Institutions 4 May 2022! Register here: In-Country/In-Region Institutions Info Session
Information for current host institutions
If you have general questions about the procedure of the In-Country/In-Region Scholarship Programme, please refer to the “Affiliate Agreement” sent to you or contact your DAAD contact person.