Stellenbosch University (South Africa) is inviting applications from a dynamic, competent and adaptable academic to join the German Section of the Department of Modern Foreign Languages as a Professor/Associate Professor of German
All foreign language programmes in the Stellenbosch Modern Foreign Languages Department are based on an intercultural and communicative approach and are designed to provide a thorough competence in the spoken and written form of the target language. German is mainly taught as a foreign or second language, but the Department also makes provision for a number of mother-tongue students. Our Department maintains a strong emphasis on research in a number of focus areas of literary and cultural studies.
- A doctorate in German or a suitable related field
- Native German speaker or have native language proficiency
- The ability to provide academic leadership in a field of specialisation within German
- A solid research record that bears witness to a growing international recognition of their academic status
- Demonstrate past or current activity in initiating and/or participating on an international level in research projects or student exchange networks
- Experience in postgraduate teaching and should have completed supervision at Master’s level with the ability to provide guidance with regard to research methodology up to Doctoral level
- A proven record of excellence in teaching at tertiary level (including undergraduate levels), in German Literature and/or language, with experience of teaching German in a foreign language context
- Demonstrate a willingness and an ability to assume responsibility for the organisation of academic events
- Experience in academic management and administration
Only one post is available. Candidates should apply only for the post-level that corresponds most accurately to the level at which they currently function and should clearly indicate for which level they are applying.
Commencement of duties: 1 January 2022
Applications can be submitted until 10 September 2021 online at www.sun.ac.za/english/careers
For more on the position, the key performance areas and key competencies needed, check out the job listing here: Professor/Associate Professor of German