The Wits-TUB Urban Lab, a cooperation between the School of Architecture and Planning at the University of the Witwatersrand and the Technical University Berlin that is funded by the DAAD, has 11 Master scholarships available for Sub-Saharan African Nationals (excluding South Africans) in the School for Architecture and Planning at the University of Witwatersrand, supported by a bilateral programme at the TU Berlin.
The masters scholarships apply to the following 1 year full time (January - December 2020) degrees at Wits University in Johannesburg, supported by a bilateral programme with TU Berlin:
- MSc Development Planning (MSc DP)
- Master of Urban Studies in the field of Sustainable Energy Efficient Cities - MUS (SEEC)
- Master of Urban Studies in the field of Housing and Human Settlements - MUS (HHS)
- Master of Urban Studies in the field of Urban Politics and Governance - MUS (UPG)
- Master of Urban Studies in the field of Urban Management - MUS (UM)
This call is open for applicants who are citizens of Sub-Saharan African countries other than South Africa. Up to 7 scholarships out of 11 are earmarked for MUS (Urban Management). A separate
call will be issued for scholarships for South African students. For all applicants whose last highest degree was not obtained in
South Africa, a proof of application for assessment of their degrees by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA)
must be attached to the scholarship
application. (more info under the link below).
The scholarship programme includes a joint Wits-TU Berlin summer school week in Johannesburg in which students from TU Berlin will join the cohort at Wits University. The scholarship programme focuses on four innovation areas which address SDG implementation in urban areas:
- Politics and policy of the urban
- Understanding complex urban systems
- Managing change processes
- Co-producing knowledge between theory and practice.
Value, period and conditions of the Scholarship
The masters scholarship covers the duration of one academic year.
The scholarship includes:
- Full tuition fee
- Monthly stipend (living expenses including: subsistence expences, accommodation, other costs)
- Travel from home country/place of origin
The university reserves the right not to make all or to make no scholarship awards.
How to apply for the scholarship programme?
For instructions on how to apply, please download the full call here.
Application deadline: 31 July 2019
Read more about the Wits-TUB Urban Lab here.